Aircraft maintenance engineering is a professional course, and students are confused about how to select the right AME college for them because of the availability of so many options. Well, if you are riding in the boat, this blog is here to help you understand what is AME, which factors you should keep in mind while selecting a college, and the details of AME courses
What is AME?
Aircraft Maintenance Engineering is a licensing course that focuses on training engineers on how to maintain, enhance and upkeep an aircraft. The role of AME is very important in the aviation industry as they are responsible to check the airworthiness of a plane. They hold the responsibility for the safety of passengers, crew members, and the aircraft.
- Age- 16-23 years.
- A student needs to clear Class 12th with PCM or has completed three years approved diploma in any of the relevant streams.
- To get admission to the best aviation colleges such as IIAE, you need to clear the AIAEE exam.
- No physical disability.
How to pick the right AME college?
There are various factors that you should keep in mind while selecting the right AME college for you.
- DGCA approval– The first and foremost consideration is the college should be approved by the authority of the Indian government, DGCA. As DGCA is in charge of regulating rules and regulations in the civil aviation Industry, you can be sure of the industry-standard course provided by the college.
Only DGCA approved AME colleges in India have the right to issue AME licenses to their students and an AME license is the basic eligibility to work in the aviation industry. So, make sure to double-check DGCA approval.
- Location- The location of the college is another important factor. Ensure that the college is in close proximity to the airport so that you do not need to change your location again while doing an internship.
- Education fees– Please calculate the tuition fee, hostel fee, and estimation of college expenses to check if you can afford the fees or not. You always have the option of an education loan open with you but it should not make you overburdened at the same time.
- Placement and internship opportunities– Visit the website of the college to check if they provide training and placement opportunities. Also, check out the past placement records and list of the companies in which the college offers placement.
- Amenities– Amenities, and infrastructure of the institute also play a vital role in selecting the college. Ventilated classrooms, Hostel facilities, a well-stocked library, and fully equipped labs are some basic amenities that should be there in a college. And if any college has in-house aircraft that will be an added advantage so that you will have practical exposure.
- Faculties– What is AME without proper guidance? A trained and experienced faculty will help you build a strong foundation of conceptual knowledge and practical training and will guide you toward the right career path.
- Campus life– Visiting the campus will help you make better decisions. As you spend 4 years on campus, you need to be ensured about campus life. By visiting campus, you can check the infrastructure, hostel facility, sports activities, and environment of the institution.
AME Colleges in India
To make your search easier, we have picked up an institute, IIAE which has all the factors which we discussed above.
IIAE– Indian institute of Aircraft Engineering, is a renowned AME institute situated in Dwarka, New Delhi. For more than two decades they are creating AME professionals who have secured successful jobs in national and international airlines such as Qatar Airways, Go Air, Blue dart aviation, BSF, etc. IIAE’s students receive an average package of 12 LPA.
The course structure of AME
IIAE offers an undergraduate program in AME in the Mechanical and avionics stream.
They have created a conceptual and practical blended program, in which in the first 2 years of the course, students will learn the theoretical aspects of CAR-147 (basic) programs. And in another 2 years, students will learn about flying the aircraft.
What you will study in AME college
The course structure will be based on the regulatory guidelines given by the DGCA.
You will learn what is AME, its role, responsibilities, and the structure of an aircraft. Let’s check out topics based on the specialization-
- Mechanical Stream– In this stream, you will broadly learn about the structure of an aircraft, powerplant system, and airframe. Some of the subjects which you will study are- Electrical fundamentals, maintenance practices, aviation legislation, basic aerodynamics, material & hardware, Gas turbine engine, propeller, turbine aeroplane aerodynamics, etc.
- Avionics Stream– The term “avionics stream” refers to avionics’ services post-maintenance. In this stream, you will learn subjects like electrical fundamentals, human factors, Aviation legislation, basic aerodynamics, material & hardware, etc.
To sum up, College set the foundation of your career. And this is why it is very important to choose the right one. We hope, after reading this blog you can narrow down your search for AME colleges, and make a wise decision by selecting IIAE institute. To get admission to IIAE, register for the AIAEE exam.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is AIAEE?
‘All India AME entrance examination’ is an entrance exam to get admission to the Indian institute of aircraft engineering for the AME course. You can register for this exam from IIAE’s official website. It is an MCQ-based examination in which questions will be asked from the subject’s chemistry, physics and mathematics.
Is AME a good career option for Girls?
In the present era, women are doing excellent jobs in every sector and if we talk about AME, the career scope is wide in this sector with lucrative pay packages. And AME is a good career option for both women and men.
Which stream is the best in AME?
The mechanical stream of AME is better than Avionics because the Mechanical stream offers more career opportunities. If you are from the Mechanical stream and have the right skills, you can also apply for avionics stream jobs.
Is AME equal to a degree?
No, AME is not equal to a degree as it is a training program Offered by the Institute to issue a license to the student upon the completion of the program.
Can Indian AME work in Foreign Countries?
Yes, an Indian AME license is internationally recognized and makes you eligible to apply to government or private sector foreign companies.